Black & White Overnight Oats
Mmmm…black sesame. Roasty, toasty, just so good. It’s easy to make black sesame butter at home in your blender or food processor; I’ll happily drizzle the stuff on everything in sight. Pancakes? Sure. Ice cream? Definitely. These overnight oats…OH YES.
Actually, it’s double-sesame-season here, because we mix the butter into the oats, too– black magic! I hope you love these oats as much as I do.
Be sure to toast raw sesame seeds; I’ve tried making butter with store-bought roasted ones, and it always turns out bitter. I use and love this soy milk.
- 1½ cups raw black sesame seeds
- pinch salt
- sugar, to taste
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- ⅔ cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp black sesame butter
- 1¼ cups milk
- pinch salt
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 banana, thinly sliced
- black sesame butter, to drizzle
- In a medium skillet (cast iron works best), toast the sesame seeds over low heat until fragrant. Once cool, place in a blender with a pinch of salt and blend until smooth. Add sugar to taste and blend to incorporate.
- Add black sesame butter and a few tablespoons of the milk to a jar. Stir until well mixed. Add remainder of the milk and other ingredients, seal the jar, and shake vigorously. Refrigerate overnight.
- Portion into 2 bowls and top with coconut, poppy seeds, sliced banana, and a drizzle more sesame butter.